Manchester City's Riyad Mahrez, left, challenges for the ball with Tottenham's Danny Rose during the Champions League, round of 8, first-leg soccer match between Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester City at the Tottenham Hotspur stadium in London, Tuesday, April 9, 2019. (AP Photo/Frank Augstein)

Soccer players launch social media boycott over racial abuse

April 18, 2019 - 12:01 pm

MANCHESTER, England (AP) — Soccer players in England are backing a 24-hour boycott of social media to demand a crackdown on racial abuse on the platforms.

Following a series of high-profile cases, the Professional Footballers' Association has gathered support from players to stay off Twitter, Facebook and Instagram from 9 a.m. Friday until 9 a.m. Saturday.

England defender Danny Rose says "we are simply not willing to stand by while too little is done by football authorities and social media companies to protect players from this disgusting abuse."

Watford captain Troy Deeney was targeted with racial abuse on Instagram earlier this month after scoring in an FA Cup semifinal win over Wolverhampton.

Deeney says "on Friday we are sending a message to anyone that abuses players — or anyone else — whether from the crowd or online, that we won't tolerate it within football."

___

More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

AP Editorial Categories: